Remember when I said my posts were going to get cheesy last time? Well, what better way to start off than with a holiday-themed post? So here’s my Top 10 list of advantages Transylvania has that make me so grateful for the last four years. They’re in no particular order because they’re all pretty great, if I do say so myself.
10. Transy has a TON of cool history. From our founding in 1780 to our connections to local and state history, to our prestigious collection of 19th century medical equipment, I’m always learning something new about this school. Click here for more fascinating Transy trivia!
9. Our Career Development Center is fantastic. I’ve blogged about them before, but they are the reason why I’m not terrified of “the real world.” They’ve made me feel so prepared for whatever’s next in my life.
8. I love our historical connection to the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). I grew up in the DOC denomination and I first heard about Transy from older friends at church camp. Here’s here’s more info about Transy’s historical affiliation with Disciples.
7. Downtown Lexington is the best! We have delicious restaurants, unique shopping, and big opportunities all within walking distance! Only down side: I’ve still never really learned how to parallel park…
6. Having a small campus means you’re walking less in extreme weather. You may think this is a small thing, but when it’s below freezing, pouring rain, or you’re just running late to class, you will be so so glad that you can get across campus in four minutes.
5. Our professors really care about student success. It’s not just the ones you have multiple times for classes in your major. Even the teachers you have once will take the time to help you on your homework and to get to know you outside of class.
4. Our campus community makes it so much easier to make friends. You’ll meet people in unexpected ways and you’ll probably be surprised at how friendly everyone is.
3. Transylvania keeps getting better. While I’m a little bit jealous that all kinds of exciting things either started right after I got here, like August Term, or will be here right after I leave, like our new dorms!, I’m glad to go to an institution that is always improving and innovating.
2. Our small class sizes make college much less intimidating. It’s not scary to ask questions in a class of 20 or less students. You won’t be just a number here and you’ll make the most of your academic experience.
1. Transy helped me grow into the person I always wanted to be. If you would’ve told my high-school-self that by now I’d be supervising a staff of tour guides, that I’d be named an honorary member of a fraternity, and that I’d be confident enough to go to the cafeteria without worrying if I’d know anyone to sit with, I would’ve been in disbelief.
This may have been my last Thanksgiving in college, but I’ll always be thankful for Transylvania.