Three papers due week before last and a presentation and a test last week.
If you go to Transy, you already know that means no sleep has been had by me for two weeks. Or by anyone else for that matter.
If you go to Transy, you also already know that means a lot of coffee is consumed. If you’re anything like me, you’re picky. About everything – coffee included. I’ve had about 387,558,968 different kinds of coffee and I am constantly discovering new things. Lexington is full of places to get great coffee, so here’s a list of my absolute favorites that hit the spot when you feel like you need a boost.
- Starbucks – By no means is Starbucks my favorite place to get coffee, but it does the job, and there are several close to campus. I really love their coffee, but I wouldn’t recommend it to everyone. Their brewed coffee can be a bit acidic in taste, but they do have several lighter blends as well. They also make a variety of specialty drinks including: frappuccinos (so good), lattes, espresso, etc. It’s a great place to study and chill if that’s what you’re looking for.
- McDonald’s – This is by far my favorite on-the-go place to get coffee. It’s cheap (a major plus for college students) and has a really great taste. There is a catch to their brewed coffee as well – it tastes slightly burnt. I don’t know if it’s because it’s so strong or because they leave it on the burner all day, but it does taste slightly roasted. It adds a lot of extra kick, but doesn’t really affect the flavor. McDonald’s also does a lot of specialty drinks, but I really don’t believe they hold a candle to Starbucks.
- The Hub – The Hub originated as a coffee house in Danville, but they have expanded and there is now one in the lobby of the public library downtown. I believe I am prejudiced when it comes to this particular place…I went to GSP at Centre so I was a regular at the original Hub. Everything is fantastic. I have no complaints about the place (except maybe that it’s a little overpriced, but about the same as Starbucks). I love to reminisce when I get a chance to go to Danville, always making sure I stop and get my favorite thing: the Hazelnut Fancy. The best thing about The Hub is knowing their coffee is fair trade. ❤
- Common Grounds – My absolute favorite place on the list! I am no stranger to East High Street, where Common Grounds is located. As it turns out, Common Grounds is owned by the same people that own The Hub. No wonder it’s my favorite…They have the same menu and the prices are about the same. I love the location and atmosphere of Common Grounds as well. It sits on the corner of High Street and is in a moderately sized brick building. The inside is dark, but colorful and there are rooms with tables and chairs, couches, and a back room for meetings. The floors even kinda’ creak when you walk. As far as coffee options go, this place has everything and it’s all good.
- Third Street Stuff – This one is great because it’s so close to campus! I’m sure everyone knows about this place, but if not, here’s just a little bit of the inside scoop.This place is outfitted with a store in the front (which sells all kinds of crazy…stuff) and a coffee shop in the back. The specials always have fantastic names (Hunger No More Games Latte? Yes, please) and they sell regular coffee and some things like hot chocolate as well. The coffee is great and the atmosphere is very playful, but it’s still a great place to chill with friends or read the paper, whatever. A plus for this place is that they sell my favorite kind of coke, which is Jones Soda, the ones with the crazy pictures on the front and the fortunes on the inside of the bottle caps.