The number one most important thing to remember when you are coming to college is that your dorm room will not just be your bedroom, but will serve a variety of purposes such as living room, kitchen, library, etc.
In order to adjust and become comfortable in college, you must feel like you are at home. A lot of feeling at home as a freshman has to do with the way your dorm room feels. You have to make it homey; you have to make it fit your personality; and lastly, BE CREATIVE! So first things first…
Q: What does a dorm room at Transy look like?
A: Dorms at Transylvania include:
- 2 Dressers and 2 Closets
- 2 Desks
- Air Conditioning Unit
- 2 Beds
Good things to bring in addition:
- Bookshelf (Walmart, Target, or IKEA!)
- Futon, Couch, or Chair (Fits better if beds are bunked)
- TV, radio, iPod dock, etc.
- Microwave and/or extra mini-fridge (up to 4 cu. ft.)
Q: Next, should I bring a carpet?
A: This is up to you. It all depends on your style and preference. The most popular options are:
- Small area rugs (You can purchase at any home store, Walmart, etc.)
- Large 12×12 carpet remnants (Any carpet store)
- Warning: The larger carpets can get more expensive.
- Linoleum Flooring (Home Depot, Lowes, any hardware store)
- A cheaper alternative to full coverage carpet.
- Some can even look like wood flooring!
Q: What should I use to decorate my dorm?
A: Some of the best places to check out this year’s dorm trends can be found by scouring the net. Prints, Twitter pillows, wall decals, and bright colors are the ‘thing’ this summer. The collections below can be found and purchased directly on Dormify, one of the best college dorm decor websites!
Not into the new trends? Add your own touches! There are many ways you can do this including, posters, artwork, decals, lamps, bed spreads, pillows, etc. Here are a few websites with thousands of dorm ideas: