Transylvania Storm Chasers

Friday, March 2nd, was no ordinary Friday. The natives of Transylvania were restless, and it wasn’t just because it was the weekend.

I do not like tornadoes. After being forced to watch “Twister” as a small child, and seeing the dad get swept away after going to save the dog, I have learned two things:

  1. Always have a basement so you don’t have to go outside and always keep your pets close to you in case of a weather emergency.
  2. However, upon recent reflection, I have come to realize we don’t have a basement in our house in Tennessee because our area is on an earthquake fault, and our two cats tend to disappear when I really need them for something.

There was some severe weather throughout the week, I had my Europe in the 18th Century class Wednesday in the basement of the impenetrable Haupt Humanities- I learned nothing about the slavery experience of Olaudah Equiano. Luckily I survived that experience, so on Friday when the real stuff was going to hit, I could be freaked out by the power drilling and leaf-blowing that was going on outside of my class.

After class on Friday, I headed back to my room and packed a bag so I would be prepared for the impending storm. I loaded up with my laptop, car keys, water bottles, granola bars, cell phone, wallet and “Jurassic Park” for some light reading.  Then I went over to the Beck Center, because in case I didn’t die tragically at 19, spring break is in a week and I’m going to the beach. Also, I figured that if there was a tornado, I could camp out in the locker rooms off the performance court downstairs and maybe meet some of the nice boys basketball players here for the NCAA Tourney.

Sadly, after a grueling 3 mile run on the treadmill and a little p90x Ab RipperX, I was informed that they were closing the Beck at 4, so I had to head back over to Fortress Forrer and wait to be herded like cattle into a side hallway.  A few minutes after I was out of my shower, the alarms went off, and my apocalyptic back-pack and I headed off to 1st side hallway!

The wait began.  I received a continuous stream of texts from my mother and grandmother, who apparently didn’t believe me when I said I was already in a designated safe zone and was aware of the possible dangers.  I was happily reading my book while my fellow classmates kept trying to sneak around and look out a window.  It was really annoying since the RA’s kept yelling at them to sit down and relax.

After about 20 minutes, I was getting a little anxious myself about what was going on outside, since we had not really heard that loud train noise, hail, or rain anywhere.

However, my worst fears disappeared when I heard, and smelled, that someone had ordered Chinese food.

And they delivered it.

Five minutes later, the warning was cleared and I could go back to my room.

The moral of the story?  The people who deliver Chinese food are fearless.